Are There Grants For Home Improvements?

Grants for Home Updates and Renovations

Home improvements are overwhelming, even on the best, most exciting days. The first thing to consider is the cost. There is financial assistance available for home improvements to increase the accessibility of a home. *For the most up-to-date and relevant information for your area, refer to your specific state/city housing finance agency.

If you are a veteran with a service-related disability, you may be eligible for a couple of different types of grants. A specially adapted housing grant is suitable for veterans to build or remodel a home. This is the best option for the veteran who owns their home. Alternatively, for a family member’s home where a disabled vet lives, there are grants that extend and cover that.

Aging populations need home renovations to maintain independence. If your ability has changed due to your age, consider the Single Family Housing Repair Loan and Grant. This grant is for very low-income homeowners to remove hazards or update safety features. The low income is set by each county. Refer to this USDA Rural Development Single Family Housing Direct Loan Program document. For Kansas City residents, refer to page 143 for the Kansas side and page 234 for the Missouri side. Loans are available for up to $40,000, and grants are available for up to $10,000.

Private funding is available through nonprofit organizations. Most applicants must demonstrate financial need. Financing programs for home renovations are available through the Federal Housing Administration.

Additionally, there are financing programs available, such as the Section 203(k) loan program from the Federal Housing Administration, which allows home buyers and homeowners to finance the purchase or refinancing of a home, along with its corresponding rehabilitation needs in one mortgage.

To see what housing programs are in your area, check with:

  • Your state/city housing or housing finance agency
  • Your state/city health or human services department
  • The Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) in your state

Thrive Homes handles privately funded, grant-funded, Kansas and Missouri Medicaid, or cash renovations. We understand the need to make your home accessible, and we’re here to answer any questions you may have! We also offer financing through a third-party financing partner.